Since Edison perfected the design, the incandescent light bulb has been the go-to standard for indoor lighting. In recent years, this has begun to change with the advent of new, more energy efficient light sources, including LED. Neighborhood Garage Door Service of Hartford, CT customers want to know if you can use LED light bulbs in a garage door opener.
What Are LED Light Bulbs?
Even if you’ve never heard of an LED, you’ve encountered them every single day for years. They are the little indicator lights on virtually all your electronic devices:
- The on light on your laptop
- The notification light on your cell phone
- The charging indicator on your bluetooth device
- Just about everywhere you look
In the last few years, LED’s have made their way into the mainstream of full lighting sources. You’ll see them in flashlights, christmas decorations, and now even regular household light bulbs. Why has this kind of light made its way from small electronic devices to every part of our home?
What Makes LED Light Bulbs Better?
LED light bulbs have taken off in popularity for one basic reason: they are just better than traditional incandescent bulbs.This essentially breaks down into three different categories:
- Lifetime cost – LED bulbs are more expensive to buy, but make up for it over their lifetime. They use about 85% of the power that incandescents use to create the same amount of light, which reduces your power bill. They last considerably longer, sometimes up to 8-10 years.
- Better Lighting – While using less energy, LED bulbs still put out more light, with a whiter hue to it. They also turn on instantly, which another alternative bulb, compact fluorescents, can’t do.
- Versatility – LEDs can also be purchased in color changing bulbs that allow you to completely change the light color with the touch of a remote button.
Can I Use LED Light Bulbs In A Garage Door Opener?
Obviously, incandescent light bulbs have been the standard in all indoor household lighting, including on garage door openers. Compact fluorescent lights, or CFL’s, have also become popular as alternative lighting in the home. However, these are not a viable option in the garage as they can interfere with signals from the remote to the opener.
LED light bulbs, on the other hand, are a great alternative light source for your garage door opener. One of the largest garage door opener manufacturers, Chamberlain, has a list of recommended LED bulbs on their website. Cross-reference your make and model with the list they have in pdf format.
Contact Us For Service
Neighborhood Garage Door Service of Hartford, Connecticut works with all elements of your garage door system. If you decide to use LED light bulbs in a garage door opener, you may discover some questions about your system. If so, we’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to take care of any of your garage door service questions or needs. Call us today and we’ll set up an appointment right away!