The friendly team at Neighborhood Garage Door of Hartford will be happy to walk you through some of the options you will see when it comes time to choose materials for your new garage door. Because there are many different things that need to be decided on when you are choosing a door, it is important that your work with a professional that you trust.
So Many Options!
Having a new garage door installed is a great way to instantly increase the value of your home or business. By choosing the correct style and materials you can automatically enhance the wow factor of your property. We will start with helping you choose the perfect style of door.
Things to be considered at this step are the amount of space available, style of architecture, aesthetic desires, functionality, and any special weather or climate conditions. The types of doors available are:
- Carriage House Style (swings open)
- Roll Up Door
- Sliding Door (side to side)
- Swing Up
Once we know which type of door is perfect for your space we will move onto to the type of material that will be best for you.
Common Materials For Your New Garage Door
These are the five most commonly used materials that new garage doors are made out of. We have listed some of the pros and cons of each type of material to help you understand which might be the right choice for your space.
- Aluminum- This is the lightest weight option and is good for large extra wide doors. Aluminum is easier to dent than other materials but it can be covered with dent-resistant laminate panels. There are also heavier frames available on new models that are much sturdier but a little more pricey. So, inexpensive aluminum doors are an option but they will easily dent. If your budget can handle it you may want to consider a sturdier frame on an aluminum door.
- Fiber Glass- This is a good option if you live in a warm climate. Fiberglass can be made to look like just about any type of material. They can even be opaque, colored, transparent, or made to mimic a wood look. This is an affordable and highly customizable option but it is not recommended for colder climates. It will crack and prematurely age with yellowing in cold weather.
- Vinyl- This material is extremely durable. It is difficult to dent and really stands the test of time. The downside is that you will not have as many colors, looks, and custom options on one of these types of doors.
- Steel- Steel is a good low maintenance option. It can be dented or damaged pretty easily though. You can add a layer of a more durable material such as fiberglass, over the top of your steel door to resist damage and rusting.
- Wood and Wood Composite- This material is a beautiful choice, with a warm and timeless style. A real wood door is an eco-friendly choice but they can have a pretty high price point. They stand the test of time well but they do need to be refinished and properly maintained. Wood composite doors are a budget-friendly choice if you want the warmth of a wood looking door.
It’s So Simple To Speak To A Pro!
Whether you are considering updating the look of your home by replacing an older door or you are looking for the perfect door for new construction, Neighborhood Garage Door Repair of Hartford is your go-to team of local experts. We are here for you around the clock to help you with things like choosing materials for your new garage door, professional installation, and yearly routine maintenance for life. Call us today to find out how we can be of service!.