A garage door opener limit switch reset is not a very daunting task. At Neighborhood Garage Door Service of Denver, Colorado, we’ve put together this introduction and guide to the process. If you find yourself in a bind while trying this task, or just don’t have the time, give us a call!
The Purpose of the Limit Switch
The limit switches are what make the garage door go up and down. The motor functions to give the door the command to open or close. When the door is continually running when it shouldn’t be, that is when an accident can happen.
For most repairs for your garage door, we would suggest you give us a call. The limit switch can be reset on your own, but we are happy to help you if you need us. You can tell if your switch is going bad if the garage door will not open or close. Another symptom is if the door reverses itself after you have given a certain command (opening or closing).
Steps to Reset Your Switch
As with all DIY jobs, there are steps to take. We will give you a detailed description of what to look for when resetting your limit switch. Some things to look for include:
- Inspect your garage door carefully. If it won’t open or close, your limit switch may need an adjustment.
- Note the path on where the door stops. This will give you an idea of how to reset the switch.
- If the door won’t close or if it stops mid-way, you need to check out the down limit switch.
- Measuring the gap is required to reset the down switch.
- Use a step ladder to give you access to see the garage door opener and adjust the setting on the limit switch. You may also need to tighten up some screws.
- Using a flathead screwdriver, you can raise the door by turning the screw in the clockwise position.
- Use the screwdriver to turn the screw counterclockwise to close the door and give you an idea of the gap.
- You can adjust the limits if you are having any issues with the door opening or closing without command.
- If the switch cannot be repaired, we can come out and replace it for you. Give us a call and we will be there as soon as possible.
These are some ways you can adjust your limits yourself. Please remember, most repairs need to be done by a professional. We are happy to provide you with that service.
Give Us a Call Today
Our team at Neighborhood Garage Doors of Denver, Co are here to help you with your DIY garage door projects. In the event your task cannot be a do-it-yourself project, we are here to help with that as well. It is our pleasure to serve our community with all needs related to garage doors. Give us a call and we will be with you as quickly as possible.