Your garage door is a complex machine with many moving parts, most of those parts being heavy and dangerous. If you have children, it’s important that you take proper action to prevent accidents or injuries. The easiest way to do this is by childproofing your garage.
Why Are Garages Dangerous For Children?
There are many potential risks that your garage door poses for your children. Some of them involve the garage door itself while others involve items often located in a garage. We all know that children’s curiosity often runs rampant which can make your garage a dangerous place for them to explore. Here are some of the ways your garage can be dangerous:
- Exposed chemicals or tools
- Easy to reach garage door openers
- Pet food and gardening materials laying around
- Unlocked vehicles
Your curious child might stumble upon the pruning shears and think “hey, I should swing these things around!” Or they might stumble upon the garage door opener and think “hey, maybe it’s time for a walk around the block!” It’s easy to neglect your garage, but there are steps you can take to make it more child-friendly.
How to Childproof a Garage
There are many ways to childproof a garage that requires minimum effort. Mundane tasks such as making sure your garage isn’t cluttered with items is one of the easiest ways. There are other ways to help keep your children safe in the garage. Some of those ways include:
- Storing chemicals and dangerous tools out of reach – The best way to avoid your child getting a hold of a dangerous tool or ingesting a dangerous chemical is by making sure they don’t have access to it in the first place
- Lock your car door – For most people, locking their cars while they’re in the garage seems redundant, but it can help prevent your child from somehow gaining access to your car
- Keep your garage door opener in a secure location – This will help prevent your child from getting a hold of your garage door opener and deciding it’s time for an adventure
- Installing a dutch door – Installing a dutch door to your garage exit will allow you to let fresh air in while preventing the little ones from getting out
These are just some simple steps you can take to childproof your garage. They may seem normal but it can go a long way in keeping your children safe.
Install a New Child-Friendly Garage Door
Our team here at Neighborhood Garage Door Repair can install you a new child-friendly garage door. This means taking extra precautions to make sure your door won’t close on your child or get them caught. Advanced garage door technology has made garage doors safer so maybe it’s time to consider an upgrade.
Take Steps to Childproof Your Garage
Your safety is of utmost importance. That’s why you should take all the steps possible to childproof your garage. Our team here at Neighborhood Garage Door Repair can help you keep your garage as safe as possible.