If you’re looking to create more space in your home, consider using your garage. This is an ideal situation if you park your car in the driveway and you’re not using your garage. Here are a few things you need to know about how to turn your garage into a living space.
Benefits of An Extra Living Space
If your garage is not being used for anything, consider making use of that extra space. The possibilities are endless when it comes to ideas for your garage. Did you know that turning your garage into an extra room creates more room inside your home?
Perhaps your family has grown and you need more space inside the house. Whatever the situation is, the extra room is always good. Your property value also increases when you have additional living spaces.
What Is Your Ideal Room?
Utilizing the space in your garage saves on your budget because you’re spending resources to build more space. There are many ideas to try for your garage. Some popular ideas include:
- Exercise room – Measure the amount of space you have to accommodate your equipment.
- Mother-in-law suite – This is a great idea if you care for aging parents.
- Game room – All families love playing games. Perhaps you want extra room for playing family games or hosting a game night with friends.
- An office – This is ideal if you work from home or run a business. Several insulation options are available for making the room soundproof.
Regardless of the room idea you pick, be sure you have a vision for what you want. Having a vision will help you budget your time and resources and make good use of your space.
Areas to Adjust
Depending on the project, you will need at least 2 months to complete your room. Turning your garage into an extra room is a large undertaking and you should plan carefully. Things like insulation, heating, cooling, plumbing, and electricity are all main areas to decide on ahead of time.
Does your garage have windows or lighting? You want to make the right adjustments to these areas so your family is comfortable. Consult an electrician for advice before the wiring process.
After you determine the major focus areas of converting your garage, there are a few other questions to ask yourself. Some important questions are:
- Do you need insulation for the floors?
- Where will you install the access point to the inside of the house?
- Will you install security in the new room?
- Have you budgeted for unexpected costs?
These are a few other things to think about as you prepare to change your garage space. While it is not necessary to change your garage door type, it is an option you should think about.
These are some major factors in the conversion of your garage into a living space. When it comes time to do the project, a professional garage door company will give you advice on changing your door. If you have questions about your project, seek the advice of an expert before moving forward.