A great way to upgrade your home is to add skylights in your garage if you have a one-story garage. The team here at Neighborhood Garage Door Service of Atlanta, GA is always looking for ways to help our customers improve their garages. We think there are several pros and cons to adding skylights. Here are a few things you should think about if you are considering this upgrade.
Pros of Skylights in The Garage
There are many benefits to installing skylights in your home, whether it is the garage or your house. The pros include:
- Lower energy bills- during the day, you won’t have to cut on the lights in your garage. If you do a lot of work out in that area, this could really come in handy. Also, the sun can heat up your garage during the cooler months.
- Natural light- letting in natural light to your home is a great health benefit. Natural light cuts down on eye strain, improves your mood, and gives you a healthy dose of Vitamin D. Sunlight exposure is important to your health.
- Increase property value- skylights add property value to your home when done right. Anytime you invest in the curb appeal of your home, you increase the value.
Many homeowners love the look and feel of natural lighting in their home. Skylights can be a great addition to the right types of garages.
Cons of Skylights in The Garage
While skylights are beautiful, they also come with their share of cons. You will have to weigh these options when deciding if you should install them. The cons include:
- Sun in your face- the natural lighting is great, but when the sun gets into the right position, it can shine directly into your face. You’ll likely need to put a screen on the skylight to keep that from happening.
- Heats up the garage- heating up the room is great in the winter months. However, it can be unbearable in the summer months when it is already hot in your garage.
- Leaks- it doesn’t matter how high of a quality skylight you go with, at some point it is going to leak. You should expect to have the light repaired and worked on every few years.
These are a few of the reasons that some homeowners avoid skylights, even if they really love them. You’ll have to figure out if the pros outweigh the cons for you. We recommend that if you are going to have a skylight placed in your garage, that you go with a professional company to do the installation. They can guide you on what’s best for your garage.
Another Way of Adding Natural Light
If you decide that a skylight is not a good idea for your garage, then you should consider adding windows to your garage door. Windows will let in natural light without heating up the garage much more than it does without the windows.
The team here at Neighborhood Garage Door Service of Atlanta, Georgia can install a garage door with windows for you. Give us a call and let one of our professionals come out and take a look at your home. We’ll give you a fair quote on the work. We look forward to hearing from you.