While we do not recommend that homeowners adjust their own springs, we have put together a guide to help out other professionals in the industry. The team here at Neighborhood Garage Door Repair of Toledo can come out and take care of your spring adjustment any time of the night or day.
If you are qualified to adjust a garage door spring, these are the steps you can take to make the adjustment.
1. Determine Which Type of Spring is On The Garage Door
You will encounter one of two types of springs on a garage door, extension or torsion. Side-mounted extension springs are easier to adjust than torsion springs. It is important to note that torsion springs should only be adjusted by a professional.
What is a Side-Mounted Spring?
The side-mounted extension spring runs above the track and is parallel with it. It should be attached to a pulley and cable. The cable holds the spring and attaches it to the track hanger assembly. Doors with extension springs will have two springs, one on either side of the door.
What is a Torsion Spring?
A torsion spring is located above the door jam and runs along a metal pipe. It is designed to create torque when it winds up to provide counterbalance to the door.
2. Determine The Problem
Depending on the problem the spring is causing, you will have a different solution. Some of the issues that are related to the spring are:
- A door that’s hard to open or close
- When it slams shut or flies open
- Won’t close all the way
- There’s a gap at the bottom when it is closed
3. Come up With the Solution
Once you know what the garage door is doing, you can do these steps to fix it:
- Hard to open or close- decrease the tension
- Door opens to fast- increase the tension
- There’s a gap- adjust the tension on the side that is raised
4. Make the Adjustment
These are the steps you need to take in order to adjust the springs:
- Unplug the opener
- Pull the emergency release cord
- Open the door so you release the tension and support the door
- Secure the door with clamps so it doesn’t roll while you work
- Adjust the spring according to manufacturer’s instructions (this will be based off of whether it is a tension spring or torsion spring)
Once you’ve made the adjustment, then you’ll need to test the door to see if it is working properly. Unclamp the door and re-attach the door to the trolley. Plug in the opener and push the button on the remote. You’ll be able to see if your adjustments fixed the equipment or not.
Call us For Spring Repair
If you are not qualified to fix a garage door spring, call the team at Neighborhood Garage Door Repair of Toledo. We’ll send one of our experts out to adjust your spring safely. You won’t have to worry about damage to yourself or your property.
We look forward to working with you. Call now so we can get started on your order.