Has your current garage door opener stopped working? Or, maybe you just want to upgrade to one of the feature-rich smart openers? Either way, the team at Neighborhood Garage Door Repair has put together our top opener choices for 2019 to help you decide which one will work best for your garage.
Different Types of Garage Door Openers
Garage door openers are classified according to how they operate. There are a few basic types of openers:
- Chain drive opener: This uses a chain similar to a bicycle chain that rotates down the rail and moves the trolley up and down to open or close the door
- Belt drive opener: This is similar to a chain drive opener but uses a belt instead of a chain
- Wall mount opener: This type of opener mounts on the wall directly beside your door and removes the need for any overhead hardware to be attached to the ceiling.
- Screw drive opener: This operates similarly to a chain or belt drive opener except that a large screw rotates down the rail.
- Direct drive opener: This is the latest in European technology in which the motor moves along the rail and provides for heavy-duty lifting power with only one moving part.
Top 8 Garage Door Opener Choices for 2019
We have gone through all of the openers to find the most popular choices for 2019. You can pick from a variety of opener types depending on your needs.
#1. Chamberlain B970
This belt drive opener features MyQ Connectivity so you can operate your garage door from your smartphone. You can open or close your garage door from anywhere you have an internet connection and be alerted anytime your door is operated. The anti-vibration technology provides for whisper quiet operation. This opener is a great choice if you have a room directly above your garage.
#2. Liftmaster 8550 Elite Series
This wall mount opener comes from the Elite series, which offers all the latest in garage door opener technology. The ¾ HP motor provides heavy-duty lifting for heavy, reinforced doors. Since the opener is mounted on the wall, you won’t have to worry about any noise vibrations going through the ceiling.
#3. Chamberlain WD962KEV
If you’re looking for an ultra-quiet opener, this is another belt drive opener offered by Chamberlain. Features MyQ technology so you can operate your garage door from anywhere you have an internet connection. This opener also features a battery backup for 24 hours of use in case of a power outage or emergency.
#4. Sommer Direct Drive
This is considered the quietest openers available on the market today. It features direct drive technology and with only one moving part, you won’t have to worry about things breaking or wearing out. It also comes in a ¾ HP or 1 HP motor for all your heavy-duty lifting needs.
#5. Chamberlain WD832KEV
This belt drive opener features MyQ Connectivity so you can let your guests in when you aren’t home or be alerted every time your door is operated. The ½ HP strength motor offers reliable lifting capacity and ultra-quiet operation.
#6. Genie QuietLift 800
This is an affordable option for those that need the ultra-quiet operation of a belt drive opener. Don’t let the cheaper price tag fool you, though. It still comes with heavy-duty lifting capacity to reliably lift up to 500 pounds year after year.
#7. Chamberlain PD612EV
This chain drive opener provides heavy-duty and reliable lifting capability. It’s a good choice for those who don’t care about noise but still want all those smart features. You can operate this opener from your smartphone using MyQ connectivity.
#8. Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power Heavy Duty
This chain drive opener features a ¾ HP motor for those heavy lifting needs. It’s a good choice for those with heavier, reinforced doors. This opener is also made to withstand extremes in temperatures.
How to Pick the Right Opener for You
If you’re trying to figure out how to pick the perfect door for your garage, then use this guide below:
- Chain drive opener: A good choice for those that don’t care about noise and want a more affordable option
- Belt drive opener: A good choice if you have a room directly attached to the garage and want a quiet option
- Screw drive opener: A good choice for heavy-duty lifting needs. Has a noise level and price tag somewhere between a chain drive and a belt drive opener
- Wall mount opener: A good choice if you have cathedral ceilings, if you want to free up the vertical space in your garage, or if you don’t have the clearance below your ceiling for a traditional opener
- Direct drive opener: A good choice if you have a room directly above the garage and don’t want to be woken up by noise from the garage door
All of the openers we listed are also smart openers, which means they come with the latest in garage door opener technology.
We’re Authorized Dealers for Top Brands
When your ready to purchase an opener or even if you need help selecting the perfect one for your garage then give us a call. Neighborhood Garage Door Repair is an authorized dealer for some of the biggest garage door opener brands in the industry. Our team is also happy to install it for you!