Your Neighborhood Garage Door Repair team is asked occasionally which we think is better – an attached or detached garage? So, to answer your question, our team has put together some of the pros and cons of each.
Attached or Detached Garage – What’s the difference?
Attached garages share the same roofline and a wall with the home. The garage can be in the front, side, or back of the home. Detached garages stand alone. They are a separate building and are usually behind the home.
Attached Garage Pro’s
Today attached garages are on the majority of homes built. They become an extension of the home and add convenience. Items stored in the garage are accessed easily and you can park your car out of the weather. Other benefits of attached garages include:
- Easy access leads to alternative uses
- Usually built-in standard sizes
- Less expensive to build
- Increase property value
- Your homes heating and air conditioning can be used
Attached Garage Con’s
- Security concerns
- Increased fire risk
- Difficult to increase their size
- Hard to fit on narrow lots
- May be more expensive to get building permits
The biggest concern tends to be security. Thieves and robbers can get easy access to your home with poorly secured garage door openers.
Detached Garages Pro’s
Detached garages are stand-alone buildings. They are usually close to your home, but they can also be a fair distance from the home. Detached garages tend to be larger and have more flexibility. Their size is only limited by the budget and amount of property. Other benefits of detached garages are:
- More secure
- Greater flexibility for noisy, smelly activities
- Increased home value and curb appeal
- Better use of the land and space available
- Easier to add living area above
- Fire hazards are away from the main residence
The increased space can provide more flexibility. People enjoying hobbies may find a detached garage more enjoyable to use. It provides a carefree space to get away from everything without concern of being too noisy or messy. Or it can be a way to find office space that is quiet and peaceful, away from everyday family life.
Detached Garages Con’s
- Access may be difficult in bad weather
- May take up too much yard space
- Requires additional electrical and water outlets
- Separate heating or air conditioning needed
If you have a young or large family it may be more difficult to get everyone together. The extra utilities add to the expenses to build and will raise utility bills.
There is no right or wrong answer. Different families have different needs. Which garage is better depends on what is meets individual or family needs? Are you looking for convenience? Or do you want more space? Only you know what fits you, your family, and your budget best.
Call Our Team
Your Neighborhood Garage Door Repair team is always available to help you. If you have any questions about garages, we are here to help, so give us a call.