Neighborhood Garage Door Services Of Seattle, Washington has seen many garage door styles over the years. Most garage door openers found on residential homes are installed above the garage doors in the center, this style opener is called the trolley bar. The jackshaft garage door opener is the most recent style that has been added to the market, this style can be installed on the side of the garage door leaving the area above the door clear. The jackshaft opener is mostly known for its use on commercial garage doors.
In new homes we have noticed a recent trend where the ceilings of the garages are much taller than the tops of the garage doors, What can you do to get the most storage space out of your garage without a rail system that will be blocking your open space above the garage door.
There are a few times where it is recommended that you use a jackshaft door opener system on your garage door.
- Garages With High Ceilings:
If the ceiling is higher than the garage door then a vertical system will help to keep most of the space above the garage door available to use.
- Cathedral Or Angled Ceilings:
With this style of ceiling it is more convenient to use a jackshaft overhead garage door opener. The jackshaft system allows for easier service accessibility in case of any problems.
- When The Garage Depth Is Not Suited For Central Opener:
A traditional garage door opener requires at least 48 inches of space above the door. Heating systems such as boilers and pipes can be in the way and prevent the installation.
Need To Know Facts
- Jackshaft openers can not be used on low clearance doors but it can be used on full, standard and high-lift garage doors.
- The jackshaft opener system connects to the tube where the springs attach, therefore this system can only be used with a torsion spring garage door system.
- Jackshaft systems require a clearance of 7 inches beside the door as well as 3 inches above the tube (or shaft)
The Advantages to A Jackshaft Opener System
- It comes with the safety reversal system just like the trolley door does.
- Jackshafts can be used on doors that are up to 14 feet tall or with a door that is a max of 180 square feet.
- The LiftMaster 8500 has the Security+2.0 which offers better security for the codes to the remotes. This system may also be operated from most all smart devices.
Differences Between Trolley Doors And The Jackshaft
- The trolley door is a rail system that is installed at the top of the garage door causing you to lose the space above the door. The jackshaft system is installed on the side of the door allowing you to keep the space above the door.
- The installation time on both garage door opener system is the same but the jackshaft costs 25%-30% more than the trolley door.
Neighborhood Garage Door Services Of Seattle, Washington wants you to be aware of both options available for you to choose from. We want you to be well informed on advantages and disadvantages of each before making a decision. So take your time and decide which model is best for you and your garage door.